Sunday, August 29, 2010

Cresting the hill and a few smalls***

Sometimes if you push yourself really hard, all you want to do is get to the top of the hill just to know you DO have an end in sight....Well, I think yesterday I crested the hill....Sorting, packing and deciding about belongings of someone dear to you can be tough.... I want to wrap myself around each and every memory...and then questions come to mind when I see photos and momentos from days long before my time..... Luckily we have secured storage for a big part of Nannies belongs...I am under the gun however to have everything out of her condo by mid-Sept... Moving forward....

I do want to show a few smalls I was able to stitch up when spending time visiting in the hospital. With the other priorities in my life right now, I cant say I have stitched much of all in the last couple weeks....

I found this VERY old bread board at Nannies and quickly claimed it to my house...It is worn and made of simple wood reminding me of simpler times.... Lee tells me it was Nannies grandmothers bread board so that tells you how old it might be......There is nearly a hole worn down in the bottom of it from excessive use..... We can only imagine how many pans of hand made biscuits might have come out of this beautiful relic.


Be Mine Valentine
Lizzie Kate

Merry Christmas

Blackbird Designs

Joyeaux Noel book

Crow freebie
Primitive Bettys
Hope everyone has a great Sunday.... ((**Hugs**)) Faye

17 comments:

Jackie's Stitches said...

I love the bread board and the history that goes along with it. How bittersweet it must be for you to be sorting through your precious MILs things.

Mary said...

I can understand how hard these days must be for you, Faye. Having these precious keepsakes are what some of our fondest memories are made of. I'm sending prayers and the hope of God's grace to strengthen you and your family during these times (*HUGS*)

Jan said...

Such memories...and bittersweet, achey times going through these simple possessions, that end up meaning so much to us. You have been in my thoughts and prayers, dear Faye. I know you will cherish that breadboard.

Lovely, sweet finishes...your stitching is there for you to reclaim, when your heart and hands are ready for it.

{{{hugs}}}

Margaret said...

I love your finishes! That's so neat about the bread board. It's so hard when you lose someone and have all those memories to go through. Hugs to you.

Karen said...

I love the dough bowl....what a nice treasure! Love your finishes. will be thinking about you during this busy time!

Hugs....

Catherine said...

Love all your smalls! How wonderful to have a piece of your family history. Hold tight to all your memories - hugs!

Carol said...

I'm sure everything that you touch brings back precious memories, Faye. You are lucky to have the storage facility so you don't have to make too many hasty decisions about her belongings.

Your little pieces are all special and I'm sure your stitching is a huge comfort as you work through the grieving process... Sending you a warm hug ((()))

Dee L said...

So good to hear from you, Faye. This is certainly a difficult time for you and your family, but the memories can be a comfort, too. I love how you did the Blackbird Designs Merry Christmas. I have the book and pulled it out because I didn't remember the piece being so attractive! Caring thoughts to you.

MyLifesAStitch said...

What a tough task you have before you. So sweet that you are able to keep the bread board. I know you will think of her every time you look at it.

My prayers are with you!!

Siobhán said...

Big hugs, Faye. I know each day is a struggle. Wrap those memories around you like a cloak and take some comfort in it. Love the breadboard, and the finishes are fantastic!

FIONA said...

Faye, Ada would be so happy that you are loving that breadboard! Take care and know we are all thinking of you. Great little finishes too! Always good to stitch and you will always remember these pieces as being stitched at this time. lots of hugs to you!

BrendaS said...

Great finishes!

I know it's very hard to go through a loved one's things when they are gone. Try to remember all the good times associated with them.

Take Care ((((HUGS)))

Cindy's Stitching said...

A hard process for anyone. The bread board is great.

Brigitte said...

Memories ... keep them and embrace them and it will get easier with the time.
Your stitched pieces are so lovely and sweet.

Anonymous said...

I can't imagine how emotional that must be. I'm so sorry. The bread board is so lovely! What a wonderful tie to the women in your family. :) Your stitching is lovely also. <3

Lois said...

Sorting through a much-loved family member's things is so bittersweet. It can be such a mix of tears and smiles. Wishing you well as you move forward Faye. I love the history behind the bread board, such a nice thing to keep.

Some lovely stitchy finishes!

Kajsa said...

Sorting though family members belongings are so hard. Lovely finishes.