Sunday, November 7, 2010

Weekend celebrations....

We had the best time this weekend!!! Today included a trip to Chapel Hill to the church my husband attended as a child...There was an "All Saints Celebration" celebrating the lives of those church members who had passed away over the last 12 months. Ada's name was among 5 who had died ,so there was a celebration of life in her memory... It was all very touching and we were all glad we could attend.... She would have been so proud...

We also went by the cemetary and put out new flowers...I know it seems like I may be rushing things a little, but my husband and I talked about it and decided to forgo the fall flowers since the holidays are nearly upon us....When I got there and saw that many other families had done the same thing, I felt better about it....I just hate rushing the seasons...





And, I have the best news to report about my Saturday visit with Barbara! We were able to spend a few hours together...she is doing remarkably well... Her surgeon says her healing is moving along nicely and she is anxious to meet on the 23rd to discuss her chemo treatments... We talked and talked about you guys....you marvelous stitchers out there and how uplifted she has been by reading comments directed at her.... She is truly appreciative for the prayers and continued good thoughts that can come her way...Barbara is a fighter... And she was a smiling fighter when I gave her this fob with scissors to begin her "Pink Basket".... It was a joy to stitch and I know it will love its new home!
Lastly, I have packaged up Nan's giveaway winnings and hope to get by the post office tomorrow after work....Mondays are CRAZY at school!! AND, I have a small goodie going out to another follower....Its a surprise of who it is going to or what it is......I sure do hope they both like what I am sending.....
So, this weekend at the Riggsbee house has been all about visiting, honoring and showering others with gifts..... Gives me the warm fuzzy I need to jump start another week!
Here's hoping everyone has had a good weekend and lots of stitching to fill these chilly nights!
Make is a good week~~~ Faye

22 comments:

Catherine said...

The "All Saints Celebration" sounds like a wonderful and touching event! I'm sure Ada was smiling down on all of you!

What great news about your friend and such a sweet gift you made for her!

Surprises are fun - you'll have to let us know what the lucky person thinks when they receive your goodies!

Here's to a week filled with warm fuzzies!

CalamityJr said...

What a lovely weekend. We used to attend a church where All Saints was a special remembrance of the past year's departed, and those were very special services. Your flowers are beautiful, in any season, so don't fret about those.

So happy also to hear about Barbara. Give her another hug and tell her we're still praying for her!

gracie said...

what an uplifting blog...thank you

Chris said...

Hi Faye!
Glad to hear that your friend Barbara is doing so well. It sounds like you had a great weekend with friends and remembering family.

Denise said...

I'm glad Barbara is feeling better! I hope the chemo goes as well!

Sounds like you had a wonderful weekend with visiting and remembering. Ada's flowers are perfect!

Smiles - Denise

aprilmecheelesdulllife said...

Sounds like you did have a very inspirational weekend. Glad Barbara is feeling somewhat better. I know it is a tuff road. My mom just went through it last year. I am still praying for Barbara. I love that beautiful scissor fob!

Anonymous said...

Hi Faye
I am glad to hear your friend is doing well. I love the scissors and fob. I will keep her in my prayers. Pat

Unknown said...

What a special post!! That church has a lovely tradition and I am so glad that you were able to be there to share it.

Barbara sounds like she is doing great! Her attitude is just what she needs to get through these next months. I will keep her in my prayers and send positive thoughts her way. I know they help.

Hope you have a wonderful week!

Kathy said...

What a lovely and special way to spend the weekend. I am glad Barbara is healing. Continued prayers for her healing are heading her way.

Karen said...

So glad you had a good weekend and that Barbara is doing well! Continued prayers for her quick healing and road to recovery.

happy stitching this week....

Margaret said...

Sounds like a great weekend! So wonderful that you got to celebrate Ada's life. And how great to hear about Barbara too and how well she's doing. Continued prayers coming her way that her treatments go well and for her continued healing and recovery.

Myra said...

Brrr, are you as cold as I am? How wonderful that so many got to "know" Ada a little better today and to celebrate her life. Great news about Barbara and your pink stitch for her is beautiful. What a wonderful start to a new week. Have a great one!

Melissa said...

Sounds like you spent a wonderful weekend. How special for the lovely service for the departed.

Glad to hear that Barbara is doing so well. Prayers are going out to her for a quick recovery.

Carolyn NC said...

I love the celebration of All Saints Day; how sweet you could remember your sweet MIL that way. Glad to hear the good news about your friend. And your fob is just lovely!

JillMN said...

Glad to hear you were able to spend time with your friend, Barbara. It is great that she is doing well. Love the pink fob and scissors.

jayne@~an eye for threads~ said...

What a nice way to spend a weekend, with family, good friends and lasting memories.
Be always in stitches.

Siobhán said...

What a beautiful way to remember Ada. I am sure she is in heaven, smiling at her family celebrating her life. :)

Love the gift for Barbara! I'm so glad that she is upbeat. I know I keep saying it, but I continue to pray for her! Big hugs to you both.

Jan said...

Sounds like such a fabulous celebration...Ada is indeed smiling down on you all!! I don't blame you on the flowers and they really do look lovely.

Barbara is so blessed to have you in her life, the fob is so pretty, and I know she will cherish it. Still praying for her, that she remain strong and courageous and receives lots of love and support. Glad to hear that her spirits are good, that is half the battle.

{{{hugs to you}}}

Charlene ♥ NC said...

Sounds like a great weekend of celebration and sharing. Your flower choice is lovely! Barbara is blessed by your friendship, as are we all. Sending cyber-hugs to you both.

Berit said...

Lovely all around!

I know how you feel about rushing seasons--as much as I love Christmas I hate they way November run roughshod over by the Christmas Marketing machine. :/ (This is probably because my birthday AND Thanksgiving are in November, so I want to enjoy them fully.)

Have a great week!

Bekca said...

I'm so pleased to hear that Barbara is on the mend, please send her best wishes from me! You have been very kind with your gift giving Faye, are you doing any projects just for you?

Jackie's Stitches said...

I'm glad to hear you were able to spend some good friend time with Barbara. I hope she remains in good spirits and that the news at the end of the month is good. If there is anything we can do for her, please let us know. It would be wonderful to blitz her mailbox with cards from blogland!